On 04/15/2015 02:33 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Tue, 2015-04-14 at 08:55 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

True, although I'd like to see the multi-channel issue addressed better.

I need a hint or two on what exactly you want changed in my patch to
address your request, or maybe you or someone else can just address
the issue in follow-on patches?

So right now you're basically saying to userspace "switch to channel X".
But that's not really how the more generic system works, that's more
"start using channel X (ctx=1)" / "stop using channel X (ctx=1)" /
"change channel to X (ctx=1)" and similar.

It seems to me that such an API should probably be the only API to
userspace. The non-chanctx case in hwsim could simply fake it by
starting with "start using channel X (ctx=0)" and then changing that
channel all the time.

The issue is that with your patch in this can't be addressed in
follow-on patches as it fixes the userspace API.

Ok, so adding an additional 'uint16 ctx' to the channel change data,
and providing a 'type' field that includes start-using, stop-using
would address this problem adequately?

Start-using seems it would be the same as change-channel, or do I need
a type for that as well?

THanks,
Ben

johannes