On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 10:22 -0500, Denis Kenzior wrote:

> Apologies, I've only been looking at the kernel side for several
> days, so my understanding is still incomplete.
>
> I was looking at mac80211/iface.c: ieee80211_if_add() which seems to
> handle NL80211_IFTYPE_P2P_DEVICE specially by not
> creating/registering a
> net_device object.  For some reason I thought that this object was
> registered somewhere later, but my understanding was incorrect.  So
> the  entire 'side effect' paragraph above does not apply.

Ok, makes sense.

> Are you okay with the general approach?

I see no issues with sending these events out. I'd like them to
actually be reliable (if present) though, not double as you'd implied -
but I didn't really understand in which cases you were expecting
issues, was it only P2P-Device?

>  Are there any locking issues I
> might be overlooking?

Not that I'm aware of. All of the netdev/wdev handling should be
protected by RTNL.

johannes