Ok so I created a guest wifi network without any encryption enabled at
all and the client still refuses to connect.

Again, the connection is made perfectly using the USB dongle I have
but not the built in libertas sd8686 chipset.

I do currently use pfSense as a firewall box behind my wireless router
(acting as an AP) and can see that no DHCP request is making it to the
pfSense box. I believe you are right in the point about the firmware
being the problem here.

I should also confirm - the firmware in use is the latest from the
linux-firmware Ubuntu 16.04 package. I did read around the net about
being having various issues with various firmware sources and not
others but despite trying firmware linked directly from Marvell I seem
to always get one of two issues:

1.) I am unable to connect and keep getting asked for passphrases, or:
2.) The system completely freezes up (with the v8 firmwares I tried)

I’m not really sure what else to try at this point.
Christopher Williamson