Hi Dan,

On 8/20/19 12:53 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2019-08-20 at 10:40 -0500, Denis Kenzior wrote:
Hi Johannes,

Stop.

Your tone, and in particular the constant snide comments and
attacks on
me are, quite frankly, getting extremely tiring.

Look, I'm sorry I hit a nerve, but from where I am sitting, it had to
be
said...

But did it really? And in that way?  There were certainly better ways
to go about that response.

The issue is that this isn't the first such occurrence. There is a pattern here and it needs to change. So +1 on handling this better.

I don't recall seeing a NAK anywhere his email chain (which you'd get
with some other kernel maintainers) but instead (a) an explanation of
why the proposed solution had some problems, (b) some alternative
possibilities and (c) requests for more information so the discussion
could continue.

So the cover letter states:
"Set IFF_LIVE_ADDR_CHANGE on net_device. Note: I know setting this
   where I did is likely not the right way to do it, but for this
   proof-of-concept it works. With guidance I can move this around
   to a proper place."

and I'll leave it up to you to read the first response from the maintainer.

It does the requested changes no good to take that kind of tone. Let's

Neither is:
"don't do that then"

or

"I'm not really sure I see any point in this to start with"

or

"To me, the whole thing seems like more of a problem than a solution."

move on from here and keep things constructive to solve the problem at
hand, which is:

"Changing the MAC address of a WiFi interface takes longer than I'd
like and clears some state that I'd like it to keep."

That is a technical problem we can solve, so let's keep it at that
level.

I'm all for moving on and having the people that know this stuff well giving actual guidance, as was requested originally.

Regards,
-Denis