Tony Cheneau wrote:
> I'm glad to announce the first release of SimpleRPL, a Linux-based
> implementation of the Routing Protocol for Low-Power and Lossy Networks
> (RPL).

Good news: I got it to talk to Contiki. While I'm not sure it's
working perfectly, a lot of things look right and pings between
the two systems pass nicely.

I tried a two-node setup with a Contiki leaf and a Linux root,
and didn't experiment with any more complex topology.

There are two bugs left that complicate things. First, I had to
change the order of linker arguments to get RplIcmp to load
properly:

https://github.com/frtos-wpan/frtos-wpan/blob/master/patches/rplicmp-fix-shlib-dep.patch

The other bug seems to be in the Linux kernel: it assumes that an
ICMPv6 message is at least 8 bytes. The DODAG Information
Solicitation (DIS) Contiki sends is only 6 bytes, and I haven't
found anything in RFC 4443 and RFC 6550 that would disallow having
such a short ICMPv6 message.

The short RPL DIS is rejected by the kernel and thus never reaches
simpleRPL. simpleRPL eventually reveals its presence and the two
then start talking, but losing the DIS can delay node bringup
considerably (minutes if not hours instead of seconds).

A tentative fix is here:
https://github.com/wpwrak/ben-wpan-linux/commit/2532be747cc973b1a36f80bc773c6784ae9b0ffe

Thanks a lot for simpleRPL !

- Werner