I suspect that the answer to that depends on what you are using as a backup

I have a tape robot and more tapes than I can ever possibly use, so it gets
some use. Mostly for archives. Amanda is a pain, as it wants to fill tapes, so
lots of tape changes to get as much on a tape as possible. Bacula is somewhat
better, as long as you like config files. rsync to a NAS is my usual backup
strategy and synching the NAS to another is my redundancy. The occasional dd to
an external HDD from my laptop is also a hedge against disaster.

In defence of dump, I used it relatively recently to virtualize a system that
was on old hardware and not readily accessible. Other methods I tried failed.
Restoring dump files to correctly sized virtual disks & LVMs on a new VM from a
live distro made it an easy task. I suspect I could even turn that into a short
topic talk for a future meeting if there is interest.