I'm not sure that uC-Linux can't get that small. You loose some features bu it might be worth checking.

http://www.uclinux.org/

I don't know the details or how current this info is but from the "What is page":

* Common Linux API
* uCkernel < 512 kb
* uCkernel + tools < 900 kb

I don't know what is included in that 512K or if it is a compress image or not. However, I've heard its smaller. ...slim chance but worth looking into.

Ty