Arun K. Khan wrote:
As Dinesh has pointed out 'lo' is a loopback interface with address
127.0.0.1. BTW, which live CD gave 'lo' the properties of a wireless
device?
If "ifconfig -a" displays only the 'lo' interface then none of your
network devices have been loaded. FYI, ethernet NIC's get loaded as
eth0, eth1 ..., Wireless NICs get loaded as wlan0, wlan1, ....
I know about the loopback localhost 127.0.0.1 thing. I even use it in
the /etc/hosts file to cut out bad and ad websites. I am only reporting
what I saw. There was a network icon in the task bar with active tx/rx
connection. On right clicking it, it had the name 'lo'. I was expecting
eth0 but that was not the case. We did not go to ifconfig as we were
worried about security or intrusion so we simply rebooted. It had
already done 300kbytes. It was a Ubuntu 5.10 live CD. If anyone else has
a lappy with the same card, they can try this cd. The client is in
imp/ex and his data was too precious to take any risks.
Regards,
Rony.
___________________________________________________________
To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com
--
http://mm.glug-bom.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxers