* Michal Hocko <mho...@kernel.org> [2020-07-02 10:41:23]:

> On Thu 02-07-20 12:14:08, Srikar Dronamraju wrote:
> > * Michal Hocko <mho...@kernel.org> [2020-07-01 14:21:10]:

> > > I would really appreciate a feedback to these two as well.
> >
> > 1. Its not just numactl that's to be fixed but all tools/utilities that
> > depend on /sys/devices/system/node/online. Are we saying to not rely/believe
> > in the output given by the kernel but do further verification?
>
> No, what we are saying is that even an online node might have zero
> number of online pages/cpus. So the online status is not really
> something that matters. If people are confused by that output then user
> space tools can make their confusion go away. I really do not understand
> why the kernel should do any logic there.

The user facing teams are saying they are getting queries from the users who
are unable to understand from the tools/sysfs files why a node is online and
but has no attached resources. Its the amount of time that is being spent on
these issues that triggered the patch. Initially even I was skeptical that
this was a non-issue.

> > Also how would the user space differentiate between the case where the
> > Kernel missed marking a node as offline to the case where the memory was
> > offlined on a cpuless node but node wasn't offline?.
>
> What I am arguing is that those two shouldn't be any different. Really!
>
> > 2. Regarding the autonuma, the case of offline memory is user/admin driven,
> > so if there is a performance hit, its something that's driven by his
> > user/admin actions. Also how often do we see users offline complete memory
> > of cpuless node on a 2 node system?
>
> How often do we see crippled HW configurations like that? Really if
> autonuma should be made more clever for one case it should recognize the
> other as well.

Lets take a 16 socket PowerVM system and assume that 32 lpars are created
on that socket, i.e 2 lpars for each socket. (PowerVM has the final say on
how the lpars are created.) In such a case, we can expect 30 out of the 32
lpars to face this problem, with the only 2 lpars that actually run on
socket 0 having the correct configuration.

> > > This begs a question whether ppc can do the same thing?
> >
> > Certainly ppc can be made to adapt to this situation but that would be a
> > workaround. Do we have a reason why we think node 0 is unique and special?
>
> It is not. As replied in other email in this thread. I would hope for
> having less hacks in the numa initialization. Cleaning up the mess is
> would be a lot of work and testing on all NUMA capable architectures.
> This is a heritage from the past I am afraid. All that I am arguing here
> is that your touch to the generic code with a very simple looking patch
> might have side effects which are pretty much impossible to review.
> Moreover it seems that nothing but ppc really needs this treatment.
> So fixing it in ppc specific code sounds much more safe.
>
> Normally I would really push for a generic solution but after getting
> burned several times in this area I do not dare anymore. The problem is
> not in the code complexity but in how spread it is in places where you
> do not expect side effects.

I do understand and respect your viewpoint.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Dronamraju