On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Scott Wood wrote:

Kumar Gala wrote:
On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Scott Wood wrote:
I'd rather avoid adding another case where the kernel needs to know what modules are being built, though, especially if the result of changing the .config and building modules is a mysterious runtime failure (due to a missing platform fixup) rather than compile- or insertion-time.
I don't follow what you are getting at here. Is this something more than #ifdef PHYLIB in the platform code?

If you just #ifdef PHYLIB, then things will break if the user does this:
make config, GIANFAR=PHYLIB=n
make zImage
make config, GIANFAR=PHYLIB=m
make modules

And the cause of the failure will not be something that obviously points to a build problem, such as unresolved symbols.

what you are suggesting will not break with my patch.

The second case will for PHYLIB=y w/the select.

I'd rather just unconditionally select PHYLIB on platforms that need to do fixups.

But you don't need fix ups for the phy if you don't have the enet driver that the phy is connected to in your system.

(But I do understand the desire to be generous, but I think we can get this right).

- k