On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 10:43 -0500, Timur Tabi wrote:
> Grant Likely wrote:
>
> > if you need explicit indexing then use an alias.  My opinion however
> > is that explicit indexing is unnecessary and is just an artifact of
> > current i2c subsystem internals.  There is already enough information
> > in the device tree to match i2c devices with i2c busses without
> > resorting to indexes.
>
> Not for ALSA SoC V2 devices.  In ASoC V2, the "fabric" driver needs to
> identify
> the codec by its specific I2C bus and address number.  The codec driver is not
> an OF driver (normally), so it doesn't have access to any OF data.  It's just
> an
> I2C driver, so its given an I2C address and some number that represents an
> adapter.

Any struct device can have an OF node. We need to fix things so they get
filled properly.

> Therefore, the fabric driver and the codec driver need to independently
> determine the I2C bus number, and they need to match.  The fabric driver
> parses
> the OF tree and looks up the cell-index property.  The codec driver uses the
> adapter->nr variable.  The patch I posted ensures that the two contain the
> same
> number.

No, the fabric driver should get to its device node in a way or another,
and from there, find a pointer (via a phandle) to it's codec, and match
that to an i2c device.

If the current infrastructure doesn't allow that kind of matching, it
needs to be fixed.

Ben.