Hi,

Le 30/09/2026 à 17:16, Jason A. Donenfeld a écrit :
On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 5:13 PM Nathan Chancellor <[email protected]> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 04:44:29PM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
Nathan, would this be okay with you?
https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgit.zx2c4.com%2Flinux-rng%2Fcommit%2F%3Fid%3Dd216701724b7d8209ff42150658ad5c712bdb503&data=05%7C02%7Cchristophe.leroy2%40cs-soprasteria.com%7C8f69935bffb344bf0ddc08df1f05e358%7C8b87af7d86474dc78df45f69a2011bb5%7C0%7C0%7C639263782324080837%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJFbXB0eU1hcGkiOnRydWUsIlYiOiIwLjAuMDAwMCIsIlAiOiJXaW4zMiIsIkFOIjoiTWFpbCIsIldUIjoyfQ%3D%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=BA7Fyr0%2FynggvBnR%2FpiCvNCQHtNBagqvSb0i11AvoLU%3D&reserved=0

Can you stick

   Cc: [email protected] # v6.12+
   Closes: 
https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FClangBuiltLinux%2Flinux%2Fissues%2F2183&data=05%7C02%7Cchristophe.leroy2%40cs-soprasteria.com%7C8f69935bffb344bf0ddc08df1f05e358%7C8b87af7d86474dc78df45f69a2011bb5%7C0%7C0%7C639263782324110679%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJFbXB0eU1hcGkiOnRydWUsIlYiOiIwLjAuMDAwMCIsIlAiOiJXaW4zMiIsIkFOIjoiTWFpbCIsIldUIjoyfQ%3D%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=6C8%2FAEQoh%2B8pfgfYQkL7qf5Ue%2F5sAGtfqRptzsSG0CM%3D&reserved=0

on that? Otherwise, looks good to me, that's basically what I had for my
v3 locally.

Sure, done. Also removed the now-unused array_size.h include.

I'm still very sceptic with this patch. You are degrading the behaviour with GCC for a problem with CLANG. Why ?

Before the patch, with both GCC 13 and GCC 16 on powerpc32 I get a pretty standard optimised loop that clears words 4 by 4 (with auto increment of pointer) which is the most optimal on powerpc:

 3f0:   39 00 00 0c     li      r8,12
 3f4:   35 08 ff fc     addic.  r8,r8,-4
 3f8:   91 49 00 04     stw     r10,4(r9)
 3fc:   91 49 00 08     stw     r10,8(r9)
 400:   91 49 00 0c     stw     r10,12(r9)
 404:   95 49 00 10     stwu    r10,16(r9)
 408:   40 82 ff ec     bne     3f4 <__c_kernel_getrandom+0x3f4>

With the patch,

With GCC 13 I get a very suboptimal loop copying bytes one by one

 3d8:   39 40 00 34     li      r10,52
...
 3e4:   39 20 00 00     li      r9,0
 3e8:   7d 49 03 a6     mtctr   r10
 3ec:   9d 3e 00 01     stbu    r9,1(r30)
 3f0:   42 00 ff fc     bdnz    3ec <__c_kernel_getrandom+0x3ec>

With GCC 16 I get something a bit better but not as good as before, it is a loop clearing words only one by one and incrementing pointer with an additional insn instead of using auto-increment instruction stwu.

 3e0:   39 40 00 0d     li      r10,13
...
 3f0:   7d 49 03 a6     mtctr   r10
 3f4:   91 3f 00 00     stw     r9,0(r31)
 3f8:   3b ff 00 04     addi    r31,r31,4
 3fc:   42 00 ff f8     bdnz    3f4 <__c_kernel_getrandom+0x3f4>

Please restrict the patch to clang builds.

Christophe

Reply via email to