On Fri, May 07, 2021 at 02:27:46PM +0000, Greg Armstrong wrote:
> Just to add, the key reason it is not supported by BC is that if true, then
> clockClass must be 255. This clockClass is only for slave-only OC.
>
> From IEEE1588-2019 clause 8.2.1.3.1.2:
>       If defaultDS.slaveOnly is TRUE, the initialization value [of
> defaultDS.clockQuality.clockClass] shall be 255 as specified in 7.6.2.5.
>
> From IEEE1588-2019 Table 4:
>       255     |       Shall be the clockClass of a slave-only PTP Instance
> (see 9.2.2.1).
>
> And clause 9.2.2.1 title is "Slave-Only Ordinary Clocks".

Good point.

But this doesn't break anything at the protocol level, right?
A slaveOnly clock should never send an annoucement message with its
clockClass.

It is an extension that we can support in linuxptp, assuming we can
make it work as expected, e.g. avoid those "priority1 probably
misconfigured" warnings, etc.

--
Miroslav Lichvar