I implemented this as a kthread in the ice driver, and I am hoping to get some
time to fix the other Intel drivers.

Note that ice did not use the ptp do_aux_work kthread because of needing to
handle multiple ports simultaneously across multiple PFs (the clock is shared
across all PFs, so they don't all have access to the do_aux_work function which
is only controlled by a single PF which allocated the clock).

Either way, I found that whether I used a kthread or not I was unable to avoid
the timeout issue with ice hardware because the delay is caused by the method
we must use to access the Tx timestamps :( We get into the kthread function
within a few hundred usec or less, and then the firmware read takes a long
time, sometimes over 2 milliseconds.

Ok. I'll propose a patch to increase the default.

Thanks,
Jake