On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 11:02:53AM +0200, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> The ice driver returns EBUSY when it fails to get a lock for the PTP
> clock, e.g. on concurrent reads. That's a random occurence and I'd not
> expect a time interval here.

Might we expect the kernel or drivers to handle retries for us? For
example, the kernel uses retry loops with spinlocks to read normal
kernel clocks (e.g. ktime_get()).

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 6:55 AM Richard Cochran wrote:
> This case should be a real error.  I think nobody would expect
> anything to work during FW upgrade.

I agree - also the PTP clocks themselves often glitch or simply reset
entirely when ethernet controllers reset. I have enough trouble
getting the clock to stay coherent when an ethernet link drops! :)