On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 08:16:20AM -0400, Vanderpool, Clyde wrote:
> I guess a little bit of both.  From looking things up on google or
> different forums all I could find was kind of circular (i.e. 'frequency
> adjustment is the computer adjusting it's frequency')  I figured it had
> something to do with the clock pulse of the individual machines but I don't
> want to guess.  I have to present some information and I want to make sure
> I sound reasonably intelligent.  Any info would be appreciated.

In general, there are two important variables when synchronizing two
clocks.  The "offset" is the instantaneous time difference between the
two clocks.  If you perfectly synchronize two wrist watches by pushing
their pins in at exactly the same, then at that moment, the offset
will be zero.  After that, the two watches will slowly drift away from
each other.

This happens because the quartz crystals oscillate at slightly
different rates.  Another word for the rate is "frequency".  The
difference between the rates of two clocks can be represented as a
fraction or percentage.  Normally the difference is small, and so you
will see "parts per million" (PPM) and "parts per billion" (ppb) used
instead of percentage.

Regarding the ptp4l program, it is not enough for it to simply correct
the time offset, it also must change the rate of the local clock to
match that of the master clock.  The program uses the PTP to estimate
the time and frequency offsets from the master and correct them by
applying a frequency adjustment to the local clock.  The amount of
frequency adjustment is shown in the log in units of ppb.

There are tons of papers to read about this topic.  This page and the
site might interest you:

  http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-sw-clocks-quality.htm

Or try this classic David Mills paper:

  https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/database/papers/time.pdf

Here are all of the Mills papers:

  https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/papers.html

These two were helpful to me:

@TechReport{mills1993precis,
  author =       {David Mills},
  title =        {Precision synchronization of computer network clocks},
  institution =  {University of Delaware Electrical Engineering Department},
  year =         1993,
  month =        {November}}

@TechReport{mills1992model,
  author =       {David Mills},
  title =        {Modelling and analysis of computer network clocks},
  institution =  {University of Delaware Electrical Engineering Department},
  year =         1992,
  month =        {May}}

HTH,
Richard