Hi Chris,
Thanks a lot for your email.
Very good point.
So to complete the explanation.

The system (Server) MUST be synced with NTP with a given timeserver.
Directly attached to the Server is a PTP Device:
---
 ethtool -T ens2f1
Time stamping parameters for ens2f1:
Capabilities:
        hardware-transmit     (SOF_TIMESTAMPING_TX_HARDWARE)
        software-transmit     (SOF_TIMESTAMPING_TX_SOFTWARE)
        hardware-receive      (SOF_TIMESTAMPING_RX_HARDWARE)
        software-receive      (SOF_TIMESTAMPING_RX_SOFTWARE)
        software-system-clock (SOF_TIMESTAMPING_SOFTWARE)
        hardware-raw-clock    (SOF_TIMESTAMPING_RAW_HARDWARE)
PTP Hardware Clock: 1
Hardware Transmit Timestamp Modes:
        off                   (HWTSTAMP_TX_OFF)
        on                    (HWTSTAMP_TX_ON)
Hardware Receive Filter Modes:
        none                  (HWTSTAMP_FILTER_NONE)
        ptpv1-l4-event        (HWTSTAMP_FILTER_PTP_V1_L4_EVENT)
        ptpv2-l4-event        (HWTSTAMP_FILTER_PTP_V2_L4_EVENT)
        ptpv2-l2-event        (HWTSTAMP_FILTER_PTP_V2_L2_EVENT)
---
So the hardware clock (which I meant) is the server HW clock, this must be
leaved untouched and continue to sync with the given time server.

What I need now is way to directly get the time from the PTP (hardware or
NIC attached to it) or even better the Difference between the server clock
and the PTP clock.
Maybe this is already what it displayed with
---
pmc -u -b 0 'GET TIME_STATUS_NP'
sending: GET TIME_STATUS_NP
        98f2b3.fffe.138691-0 seq 0 RESPONSE MANAGEMENT TIME_STATUS_NP
                master_offset              30302
                ingress_time               1589900176102021422
                cumulativeScaledRateOffset +0.000000000
                scaledLastGmPhaseChange    0
                gmTimeBaseIndicator        0
                lastGmPhaseChange          0x0000'0000000000000000.0000
                gmPresent                  true
                gmIdentity                 0080ea.fffe.bd9a70
---
and maybe what I look for is the "master_offset", but thats where I am
unsure.
the entry in /etc/ptp4l.conf is now "free_running            1"
and the ntpd of the server is syncing with the "must" timeserver.

Is there a way to easily get the difference somewhere (and maybe as a bonus
the obviously more correct ptp time).

Sorry for my dumb questions but I am not a ptp expert - I only need this
time(difference).
And yes - I also don't understand why they don't sync to PTP, especially
when there is (I assume expensive) hardware attached.

Thanks a lot for your help
regards
Werner