On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Chris Bagwell <ch...@cnpbagwell.com> wrote:

>>> Is there driver your interested in?  Its difficult to talk in abstract.
>>
>> I'm moving the existing _TAP_ based USB TPC to _MT_ based format.
>> That's why I don't want to reuse _TAP_ again.
>
> OK. Thanks.  That clears up some things.  So this will be 2 input
> devices: 1) pen+eraser and 2) touchscreen (no pad buttons).
>
> For touchscreen device, it would be very much to your advantage to
> look just like pre-existing touchscreens.  So I agree that means no
> DOUBLETAP and for that matter no BTN_TOOL_FINGER from kernel side.
> The goal would be for xf86-input-evdev and xf86-input-wacom to both
> support equally.

I had to sleep on this email to "dream" through :).

I think we need BTN_TOOL_FINGER to report single touch events. That's
what we have discussed at LKML earlier for wacom_w8001. Dimitry told
us to use BTN_TOOL_FINGER for ST. And you agreed. The updated
wacom_w8001.c uses BTN_TOOL_FINGER for ST now (merged in 2.6.38).

> OK, I modify my opinion now slightly.  I suggest on kernel side you
> remove BTN_TOOL_FINGER and BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP (really, remove
> BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP and BTN_TOOL_TRIPLETAP).  On xf86-input-wacom, I
> recommend adding logic to usbProbeKeys()'s and specifically look for:

Replacing  BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP with BTN_TOOL_FINGER and
BTN_TOOL_TRIPLETAP with MT format complies with what we have in
wacom_w8001.c. It would be easier for us (at least for me) to explain
the drivers to other developers who plan to support both serial and
USB Tablet PC devices.

> /* Detect touchscreens that support 2 finger touch */
> if (BTN_TOUCH && !BTN_TOOL_FINGER && ABS_MT_SLOT)
>  SET_BIT(keys,BTN_TOOL_FINGER&BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP);
>
> This will cause correct hotplugs to occur, correct WCM_2FG flags to be
> added, and align with our WCM_PROTOCOL_GENERIC requirements on keys.

If we use BTN_TOOL_FINGER, we do not need to change anything for the
existing ST code. A check for ABS_MT_SLOT to replace
BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP is the only thing we need to add for WCM_2FG flag.
All GENERIC devices still share the same code. My goal is to let
common code cover as many hardware models as we can so we may deal
with less special cases.

Does this make sense?

Ping