On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Chris Bagwell <ch...@cnpbagwell.com> wrote:

>>> OK. Thanks.  That clears up some things.  So this will be 2 input
>>> devices: 1) pen+eraser and 2) touchscreen (no pad buttons).
>>>
>>> For touchscreen device, it would be very much to your advantage to
>>> look just like pre-existing touchscreens.  So I agree that means no
>>> DOUBLETAP and for that matter no BTN_TOOL_FINGER from kernel side.
>>> The goal would be for xf86-input-evdev and xf86-input-wacom to both
>>> support equally.
>>
>> I had to sleep on this email to "dream" through :).
>>
>> I think we need BTN_TOOL_FINGER to report single touch events. That's
>> what we have discussed at LKML earlier for wacom_w8001. Dimitry told
>> us to use BTN_TOOL_FINGER for ST. And you agreed.
>
> The agreement wasn't in isolation.  It was to use BTN_TOOL_FINGER and
> a new ioctl() so user land can query to see the FINGER device is a
> touchscreen.  Are you adding support for that ioctl?
>
> If not then I recommend sticking with pre-existing standard and not
> sending BTN_TOOL_FINGER in TPC kernel driver so that xf86-input-wacom
> has enough info to know its an Absolute touchscreen and not relative
> touchpad like it assumes for Bamboo today.
>
> Please see hid_ntrig.c.  It and Wacom Tablet PC both present 2 input
> devices with same feature set on both.
>
> What it does on its touchscreen input is NOT declare BTN_TOOL_FINGER
> so applications can tell its an absolute mode touchscreen.  It does
> declare BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP though and sends it during 2-finger touch
> time periods (no affect on reported ABS_X/ABS_Y values which always
> track first touch).  It also sends MT events.
>
> This plays very nice with xf86-input-evdev and also should play very,
> very nice with current git xf86-input-wacom (correctly hotplugs,
> correctly sets WCM_2FGT, etc).

I removed BTN_TOOL_FINGER from the kernel dirver. But I am facing an
issue for ST device. Without BTN_TOOL_FINGER, xf86-input-wacom does
think we have a touch device. So, the solution works for 2FGT devices.
But not for 1FGT devices. At least not without code change. I gathered
the following options:

1.  set BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP for 1FGT as well. That's not a solution I
like since the device only supports one finger;

2.  set BTN_TOOL_FINGER for 1FGT. It confuses xf86-input-evdev, which
you don't like;

3.  update the code. The code would be ugly.

Do you have other suggestions?  Thank you.

Ping