On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Chris Bagwell <ch...@cnpbagwell.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Ping Cheng <pingli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Chris Bagwell <ch...@cnpbagwell.com> wrote:
>>> Been out of action with a cold.  Trying slowing to get back online.
>>
>> Sorry to hear that. Hope you are getting "warmed up" here ;).
>
> ha. :-)

You have definitely warmed up ;). Hope it won't get hot this round ;-).

>>> I still think that Tablet PC should send BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP even
>>> though its not going to send BTN_TOOL_FINGER (same as ntrig). But this
>>> can be considered a safety net of sorts on X side since it works even
>>> if you send it.
>>
>> I know your point. But we do not post BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP in
>> wacom_w8001.c. I'd like to make it consistent for Wacom devices. Does
>> this make sense to you?
>
> This next comment is for kernel behaviour; not this patch.  This patch
> seems fine and lets us be flexibly during kernel discussions.

I was aiming at the kernel driver too. The reason I submit this patch
here before the kernel one is to discuss the types with you "locally"
first. I want to make sure we are on the same page about the format.

> I still maintain my past comment that wacom_wac.c's TPC behaviour is
> easy to decide.  Its 1 input device with stylus+eraser and 1 input
> device with run-of-the-mill touchscreen behaviour.  It should go out
> of its way to be run-of-the-mill (including sending DOUBLETAP) and not
> go out of its way to be consistent with wacom_w8001.c.  That is
> limiting its application for no benefit to end user.

What limitation or benefit do we offer to application by not sending
or sending DOUBLETAP? I think I fundamentally missed this part.

> I *think* I mentioned that I think wacom_w8001.c's current behaviour
> is wrong and we should not follow it for TPC.  Its trying to separate
> events into two classes; similar to Protocol 4/5's stylus vs. mouse vs
> pad classes.  It uses ABS_X/ABS_Y for stylus and ABS_MT_ for touch.

Yes, you mentioned that and I read it again ;). wacom_w8001.c reports
ABS_X/ABS_Y for touch. It has to since it supports single touch
devices.

> I think this approach is fundamentally wrong.  It should be reporting
> both stylus and touch (cursor emulation for touch) over ABS_X/ABS_Y
> and then multi-touch events duplicated into ABS_MT*.

It reports ABS_X/ABS_Y for 1FGT (has to) and 2FGT (for legacy client
support) devcices. We discussed that a few rounds at linux-input. I
thought you were happy with the decision.

> Until its at that point, I agree it makes no sense for it to report
> BTN_TOOL_FINGER or BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP for wacom_w8001.  I also realize
> that the way I think wacom_w8001 kernel *should* behave would be
> harder for xf86-input-wacom to work with; but only slightly.

For wacom_w8001.c, BTN_TOOL_FINGER is needed to support ST.
wacom_w8001.c supports 4 types of devices: pen-only, 1FGT and pen,
2FGT and pen, and 2FGT-only. Since pen and touch are on the same
point, without BTN_TOOL_FINGER, there is no way for us to tell if the
event is from touch or pen when both pen and touch are supported for
the same device. I think I mentioned this more than once ;)

However, BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP is different. It doesn't provide any
features except tell userland they are getting two contacts. For
legacy support, we only need to worry about 1FGT. Or maybe I am
missing something?

I will not do anything "fundamentally wrong" before I get your
approval ;). Trust me.

Ping