On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Chris Bagwell <ch...@cnpbagwell.com> wrote:

>>> Benefit of acting like touchscreen: Works with xf86-input-evdev and
>>> any pre-existing touchscreen apps.
>>
>> We agreed on this already.
>>
>>> Benefit of sending DOUBLETAP: Since aligns with touchscreen events,
>>> works with all pre-existing touchscreen apps that understand 2-finger
>>> gestures via DOUBLETAP.
>>
>> So, you mean without the actual (x,y) or even a bounding box, the apps
>> can post gesture events via DOUBLETAP? That would limit the
>> differentiation between 1FGT and 2FGT, I think. If you see
>> applications using DOUBLETAP now, We'll add it.
>>
>>> Benefit of NOT sending DOUBLETAP:  Nuetral for us. It neither helps
>>> nor hurts xf86-input-wacom.  It is negative/limitation for input
>>> drivers that could have made use of DOUBLETAP though.
>>
>> No, it is not a problem for xf86-input-wacom. It is how we support
>> other xf86-input drivers and the apps that want to talk to the kernel
>> driver directly. As I said above, I have no problem to post DOUBLETAP
>> if there are apps using it. Please share a few examples here.

>>> Can you point me at repo/branch that has latest acceppted wacom_w8001
>>> patches?  I looked at a few places and could only find the pre-1FGT
>>> version.
>>
>> It's in Linus' tree:
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob_plain;f=drivers/input/touchscreen/wacom_w8001.c;hb=HEAD.
>
> What do you know.  I book marked something that doesn't point to HEAD.
>  That explains some things. :)  I see the committed code now.
>

>> I'll get to your other comments after you surf the code. Basically, I
>> didn't post DOUBLETAP since I didn't see an use to it except in
>> xf86-input-synaptics, which is not for touchscreen.
>>
>> It is good that I understand why you wanted DOUBLETAP. Hope you know
>> why I didn't want to - I didn't want to post an event that no one
>> needs it.
>
> So we are talking about 2FGT case since we are talking about
> DOUBLETAP.  Your declaring BTN_TOUCH and BTN_TOOL_FINGER for any touch
> (I think).  The only think I'm talking about is adding:
>
>                __set_bit(BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP, dev->keybit);
>
> under "case 5" for 2FGT case.  Since you are making use of:
>
>                input_mt_report_pointer_emulation(dev, true);
>
> It automatically sends BTN_TOOL_FINGER vs. BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP at
> correct time.  It expects any sane pointer emulation should be
> declaring DOULETAP/TRIPLETAP/QUADTAP based on finger count it can
> detect and then it sends correct thing on your behave.  It wasn't
> really intended to bypass that step; just a "feature" that it could be
> bypassed.

I know it is easy to add BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP back to wacom_w8001.c. I
was looking for a use case which you did not offer yet.

I am wiling to stop here. I'll add BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP to USB TPC so
you get the feature. For the sake of the existing wacom_w8001.c, this
patch is still needed. I'll update the patch with your Acked-by. Does
it still apply :)?

Ping