James Boren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Having just finished watching this, I have a few questions, comments to make.

Hmm hmm... you are piquing my interest to watch it, the set's been
sitting on the shelf for months and I've only watched 2-3 episodes.


It had been sitting on my shelf for a year before I got sick for a week and decided it was finally about time I watched them. I had started the series earlier but only got to the 3 or 4 vol. previous. It's difficult to get into Dunbine because Tomino throws so many characters and politics at you right away, plus getting used to the dated animation.


 > Spoilers follow...





















 I love the way Tomino escalates the war slowly over the course of the
 49 ep. series. This is really the format he works best in. Tomino

He did a great (not legendary great, but better than good) job with
0079, but I don't think he did a good job with Z, ZZ and V.  I think a
full-year series demands a lot of the director, and Tomino can't
always bring it.  So many series fell into an episodic patch in the
middle, or worse, developed a bunch of mini-arcs that went nowhere.

Not so much on grand plotting, but to me, Tomino excels in characters and setting. I love his little aside with the characters, that don't serve the plot, but bring the characters to life. I'm reminded of a scene where the crew of the Zelana are having dinner. And in regards to setting, Tomino hardly ever has scenes of exposition where the plot, backstory or setting is laid out to be easily digested by the viewer. He would rather show us or have a character say something in passing and have the view put the pieces together in their head. It makes it frustrating in the beginning, but by the end of the series, things become clearer.

With shorter time to work with, Tomino has to cut the subtle character and setting stuff and the work feels confused and rushed as a result.


 > really needs the time to layout his worlds and characters, plus the
 viewers need time to make sense of them too. Which is why I'm worried
 his new 6ep. "Wings of Rean" series.

I don't think I've seen a single OVA series of Tomino's yet. (?) His
movies (esp. F91) were definitely a disappointment.

Then you haven't seen "Garzey's Wing" then? Ugh, I sure you can pick up a VHS copy for a dollar or 2, which is all you'd want to spend on it. :(


 > Aura power = Newtype power? A lot of the unbelievable Newtypes feats
 that occur in Gundam, make sense in the context of Aura power, Kamile
 spearing Scirroco with the zeta and Dozle's death aura, for example.

I think there are many fundamental differences between Aura and
Newtype.  With a few rare, but admittedly spectacular, exceptions,
Newtype power doesn't manifest in physical form.  Whereas Aura is the
regular (and exclusive?) energy source of the AB's and is the actual
ammunition in the more advanced weapons the Dunbine world.  This is
just the first one that I can put out confidently.



Aura power users can sense and identify the aura of others which is a common newtype power as well. Aura power maybe the power and ammunition of Aura Battlers on paper, but in practice it seems like it is Newtype power raised to extreme levels.

-James
--------------------------------------------------
The Gundam Mailing List MK-II [email protected]

Archives: http://www.gundam.com/gml Help: Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] with this in
         the BODY: help list

Reply via email to