On Friday, May 12, 2006 05:35, Boaz wrote:

> What area is your research expertise? I'm mostly a RS I here
> at work too, though the work degraded a little to programmer
> after my boss retired.

As you may have surmised from the nature of many of my post, I'm first and
foremost a historian.

Much of my technical writing consists of compiling the historical background of
a given technology, product or service, with a view to providing the client with
a detailed view of how and, where known, why they've arrived at their current
situation at given point in time, along with the deciding factors at each
juncture along the way.

In order to understand where you are and where you might be going, you have to
understand where you (and your partners and competitors) have been.

By the way, after a 5-year absence resulting from various health and economic
issues, I just signed a 1-year contract to work at Intel again.  I'll be writing
the onscreen help for the graphical user interface of their new Viiv hardware
products.

This means that I'll have less time for online activities like this until I get
settled into the new routine but, typically, once I'm back in the groove, the
energy I get from challenging intellectual stimulation will spill over into
whatever free time I have, resulting in greater creativity and productivity in
my recreational activities as well.

Funny how that works...

-Z-