At 06:41 PM 2/4/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Kent Crispin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>You might see it that way.  Another characterization might be that TM
>>interests have noted that under current social reality domain names
>>have value as advertisment, and also that the DNS, in conjunction
>>with the web, functions partly as an advertising medium.  And
>>therefore, use of names in that advertising medium does in fact come
>>under the purview of TM law.  This is all fact.  Trademarks do
>>appear on the net; trademarks do appear in domain names.
>
>*sigh*
>
>Here's where I feel the fundamental flaw is made.  The DNS was not
>designed to function, even partly, as an advertising medium,
>particularly as an index or directory of commercial vendors.

This function seem to fit the yellow pages model, of which there are
a number on the net now, and that whole scene might better be left
to them. Indeed, a "Mary Jo" company that thirsted after "maryjo.com"
but unfortunately Mary Jo (age 3) has already been given the domain
name by her father would be less stressed out and less likely to
hassle the poor little gal.

Bill Lovell