On 30/09/2011 12:58, Rainer Duffner wrote:
Am Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:57:03 +0200
schrieb David Brown<da...@westcontrol.com>:

On 30/09/2011 09:50, Chris Buechler wrote:
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 3:24 AM, David
Brown<da...@westcontrol.com>   wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to buy a copy of the pfSense book as a pdf file,
with the money going directly to the pfSense project (or the
book's authors)? That would be more convenient for me for
reference, faster delivery (it will take a couple of weeks to get
the paper book to Norway), more environmentally friendly, more
up-to-date (assuming the book is being updated for 2.0), and gives
the money to the people who did the pfSense work.

By contract, we don't have that option for the current edition.
There is a Kindle version available. I expect we will for the next
edition though (ETA unknown but it'll be available electronically
in parts for purchase of some kind before it's completely finished
and in print).

For various reasons (which would be way off-topic here), Kindle is
not an option for me.

I can understand that there are reasons for different models for
books, with different types of contracts, different people wanting to
get paid (you, as authors, can get money for a directly purchased pdf
file - but there are probably editors, marketers and other people
whose income is more connected to printed versions).

I would certainly be happy to pay for an electronic version of the
book
- but it must be in a free and open format.  Typically that means a
normal pdf file - it is important that it can be easily read and
searched on a variety of platforms without needing specific software.

Of course, that makes it more difficult to make sure people are
honest, and pay for the book (you guys need to eat too - coffee and
pizza cost real money!).  One solution that I have seen on a
different project is that when you buy a pdf book, it is watermarked
with the purchaser's name and/or company.  This makes it easy for the
purchaser to use the book themselves, but they will be very unlikely
to spread it around to others.

If you're really that desperate to get your hands on a PDF, I would
order the book (dead tree version) and then download a torrent of the
PDF.
You can find them all over.

The thought had occurred to me, but I didn't like to mention it :-)

But I have ordered the dead tree format book - I'll see about the pdf version in the future.

I've also now seen that the pdf is for sale at Applianceshop.eu, so maybe I could buy it there. (I'm also considering buying router hardware there, which is obviously a much more important decision.)

Keep the order, because a lot of people forget to order the book once
they have the PDF ;-)

Or try to find someone in Norway/Europe who owns it and will sell it to
you.

Maybe ask on the FreeBSD-forum?