On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <
cristian.ionescu-idbo...@axis.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2013, Moshe Katz wrote:
> >
> > Did you reboot the machine after you changed the time zone?  As I
> > understand it, many system components don't see the change unless you
> > restart them, and the easiest way to restart them all is to restart the
> > machine.
>
> Is that true?
> That's stone age.  That's interrupting.  That's simply bad.
> Isn't that the bussiness of another OS?
>

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Cristian

Cristian,

It is simply because many programs only read the system time when they
start running.
This is a design choice that has to do with efficiency of checking the
system clock, which I've been told was slow on many older and/or embedded
systems.

The "other OS" it sounds like you are referring to actually does a better
job with changing times.  That is because things like cron ("Scheduled
Tasks") and syslog ("Event Viewer") are much more closely integrated into
the Operating System.  In contrast, those components on *nix systems are
completely independent of the OS.

Moshe

--
Moshe Katz