On 04/24/2013 01:18 PM, Chris Bagnall wrote:
On 24/4/13 7:05 pm, Mathieu Simon wrote:
Depends what you think about "high specs" many 1 GE ports or even 10 GE,
lots of cores etc?

This. You also have to decide whether you actually need "high specs" in
a router. There's little point in paying for multiple GigE or 10GE ports
if your internet connection is in the sub-100Mbps range.

FWIW, we've been using the ALIX boards for several years, and despite
their apparently "low spec", they'll happily route an FTTC 80Mbps/20Mbps
connection without breaking too much of a sweat.

Obviously if you're looking at datacentre applications you'll want
something a bit beefier, but in that case, you probably aren't bothered
about having a "Netgear WiFi router" size unit.

Also worth mentioning that in my experience, WiFi is best done with a
separate access point (or access points). It enables you to position it
in the best location for signal dispersion, which might not be the same
location as your internet connection's ingress.

Kind regards,

Chris

We started buying small form factor PC's (about the size of two dictionaries) and using SSD drives. The biggest unit we have (same specs, just different configuration port wise) is one of these units with 2 GB RAM and 128 GB HHD with 5 10/100 Ethernet ports.

Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies
Office 308-382-8764 Ext. 231
Mobile 308-380-7957