>From what you've given me I've managed to fix the printing issue by making
this alteration on Windows workstations:

Windows Firewall -> Advanced -> ICMP -> Settings -> [*] Allow redirect

I'm going to investigate the performance issues you spoke of (there are 15
workstations on the network), and likewise look into employing a dynamic
routing protocol.

After all the time I've spent tracking this down, I find that my pfSense
book has precisely the same information as you've told me, if only I'd
picked it up, and is quite reassuring about the security implications.

Thanks again

--
Pete Boyd

Open Plan IT - http://openplanit.co.uk