On 29/1/14 10:57 am, Brian Candler wrote:
My uplink is using PPPoE into a DSL router in bridged mode. The
connectivity is fine, but the MTU is 1492 and I would like to bump this
up to 1500 (assuming the router will take ethernet frames which are 1508
bytes).

I looked at this about a year ago when we started getting clients with FTTC connections here in the UK (which are basically VDSL), and at the time it looked like RFC4638 support (baby jumbos) wasn't supported in pfSense.

I've just done a quick search for 'pfSense RFC4638' and found this thread from May last year:
https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=61876.0

which seems to indicate that the underlying BSD support is now there. Whether that means 2.1 supports RFC4638 is something perhaps one of the devs can answer?

As an aside, I wonder if it might be possible to 'bodge' it by increasing MTU for the parent interface. So, looking at one of of my pfSense's, for example, the PPPoE interface is on vr2, so I'd create a new interface (after creating the PPPoE interface on WAN) called 'WANModem', and given that interface an MTU of 1508. Then go back to the PPPoE WAN page and increase the MTU there to 1500.

Creating a 'WANModem' or similar interface also allows you access to the web interface on your DSL modem, which can be useful for checking line sync speeds and the like, which might otherwise not be visible to a PPPoE connection.

Kind regards,

Chris