PiBA was correct: only the WAN rule is required for pings (learn something new
every day!).  My testing was via an outside network as pings always work
internally, with our setup.

Previously you wrote:
I’ve done this, but I won't route traffic out (NAT) until I have verifiable
traffic coming in.

Not sure when it comes to ping response whether that's required, or not (I'm
guessing "not" ... PiBa: do you know for sure?).