On Windows Vista/7/8 Administrator permissions are required to add routes.
This either means running OpenVPNgui 'As Administrator'. Or using the 'OpenVPNManager' program installed as a service that runs the actual openvpn process in the background. (there is a checkbox in the OpenVPNclientExporter for including the OpenVPNManager when downloading the complete 'setup.exe') Adding the routes is still something the openvpn process itself needs to do though. If that 'sometimes' fails i dont know what could cause that..