Well, it looks like it's the cable modem after all. Under load I'm
unable to connect to it's admin panel, even when I'm directly
connected to it. I called Comcast's technical support and had them run
their diagnostics on it while everything was running and it failed
miserably. The tech agreed with the conclusion that the modem was
incapable of handling the load. So it looks like I'm in the market for
a new cable modem. I'm not sure how to find one that will meet my
needs though. Any DOCSIS 3 compatible modem will work on Comcast's
network.

Does anyone know of any models that are designed for heavy load? I'd
probably need something that was built for networks of ~10,000 users.
I'm not sure what sort of load 10,000 users generates, but I suspect
it would peak around the 10-100 requests per second that my crawlers
are putting out.

If not, can anyone recommend a place where I might be able to find an
answer to this question? Mailing list? Web forum? IRC channel, even?
I'd really rather not have to pull specs on every DOCSIS 3 compatible
modem and make a best guess based on microcontrollers/CPUs.

Many thanks,

-David