> Short answer: no DOCSIS cable modems are designed for that kind of
> throughput!

Ugh... I've been suspecting that.

> Juniper sells MX480 routers to 10,000-customer-ISPs for ~$250k!
> (Granted, that *is* overkill, but even 10k-user corporations will have
> fairly high-end routers connected via fiber to handle that much traffic.)

Yikes. That's way outside of my budget. I suspect co-locating or
leasing a T3 are really my only options.

> Your best bet, I think, would be to find a DOCSIS 3 cable modem that can
> be put into bridging mode.  At that point, the CPU/RAM limitations of
> the cable modem are no longer relevant.
>
> Some confirmation:
>      -
> http://jkoblovsky.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/how-to-use-your-own-router-with-rogers-docsis-3-0-upgrade/
>      -
> http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/12199
>          (implies Hitron and Moto/ARRIS modems can also do bridge-mode)
>      - http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145997&page=6
>          (implies SMC modem can do bridge mode)
>      - http://www.dslreports.com/faq/comcast/2.1_Modems#17174
>          (Comcast-specific)
>
> Once your modem is in bridge mode, the bottleneck should be your
> router.  As you've mentioned, your ALIX boxes are pretty much at their
> limit, too, so you're just moving the bottleneck around.

I've enabled bridging for the statics and it's still giving me
trouble. I think I'm going to wind up having to dig through the specs
of the highest-end cable modems I can find and buy the one with the
most CPU/RAM. Thanks for the links -- I didn't know they made 24x8's.
If any cable modem can handle the load I'm generating I bet it'd be
one of those.

-Davod