I do this using one of the Windows servers as a "Remote Desktop Gateway".
This feature is built in to the Remote Desktop server and client (so no
need for VPN - though you may choose to use one anyway) a you need to do is
enabled it on the server and set the client to use it.

Moshe

(Sorry for top-posting.  On a mobile device.)