On Mar 27, 2014 4:22 PM, "Chris Bagnall" <pfse...@lists.minotaur.cc> wrote:

> On 27/3/14 8:17 pm, Walter Parker wrote:
>
>> That's what I would recommend. The VPN can serve as a second gateway to
>> protect the RDP from the outside world, so you could pitch this solution
>> as
>> higher security method of network access.
>>

> This.
>
> There seem to be lots of dictionary attacks against RDP servers these
> days, to the extent that even a server with strong passwords can still end
> up DOSing a connection because of the bandwidth required to reject the
> login attempts.
>
> As an aside, does anyone know of something similar to fail2ban or
> denyhosts for Windows machines? :-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Chris

Chris,

There are several tools that work like fail2ban/denyhosts for Windows.

A commercial one that apparently works pretty well is called RdpGuard.
 (Despite the name, it also supports SQL and FTP blocking).
You could also try ts_block (https://github.com/EvanAnderson/ts_block),
fail2ban with a helper script (
http://wqweto.wordpress.com/2013/12/10/how-to-use-fail2ban-with-terminal-servers-rdsh-farm/),
EvlWatcher (
http://nerderies.blogspot.co.at/2012/12/automatically-banning-ips-with-windows.html),
a VBScript/PowerShell solution (
http://psscripts.blogspot.com/2012/12/automatically-block-rdp-attacks-on-your.html),
IPBan (http://www.digitalruby.com/securing-your-windows-dedicated-server/),
QaasWall (http://sourceforge.net/projects/qaaswall-window/), or one of a
ton of other solutions.

Disclaimer: I have not tried all of these myself, but I did this research a
year or two ago and this is what I found.

Moshe