On Apr 20, 2014, at 5:32 PM, Volker Kuhlmann <list0...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> I've been running pfsense for many years (and been very happy with it)
> on scrapped PCs with a Sun 4-port Ethernet PCI card because I need 5
> Ethernet ports.
>
> Now freebsd dieing on the hme driver effectively turns those cards into
> scrap and I'm stuck. What are alternatives now?
>
> Are there any other 4-port cards that are supported by pfsense in
> practice (not just in theory), that are also affordable?

You’ll need to define “affordable”.   You’ll also need to state if you’re
looking for PCI, PCI-x or PCIe cards.

> The power consumption (and box volume) of scrapped PCs is not optimal,
> and I've been looking at moving to a small single-board. Soekris was
> always underpowered and overpriced IMHO, and PCEngines underpowered,
> until they released the exciting APU series recently. They all only have
> 3 Ethernet ports though, which is the stopper here.
>
> What mPCIe Ethernet cards are supported by pfsense that people can
> recommend?

We’ve run some experiments with various Intel-based cards in a NUC (we’re
building a rack mount for them).
They work, but it’s not an inexpensive solution.

> Are there any USB Ethernet adapters that actually work with pfsense?
> Reliably? I am looking for reports from those who have tried, not the
> freebsd supported HW list - that list is too long and not really
> trustworthy (I have a USB wifi adapter which runs for 10min then makes
> pfsense kernel panic).

WiFi isn’t recommended until at least pfSense 2.2, if then.

> The frequently recommended option of using VLANs may look good for
> larger commercial networks, but just buying a VLAN capable switch costs
> more than a suitable pfsense box and brings the power budget of the
> combination to the same level as a scrapped PC - with the latter winning
> hands down on cost.

You can pick up the 8 port HP switches (e.g. 1810-8G aka J9802A) for less than
$100 these days.
No fan, so noise-free.  < 8W maximum.  Real SNMP implementation, supports
802.1q, jumbo packets, etc.

When we lived in Hawaii, (expensive power), I used to run a 24-port version of
this (1810-24G aka J9803A).  Still no fan, 24 10/100/1000 ports, of these
can support SFP.   Current price is less than $200 on newegg, and probably way
more switch than you need.

These days my “home lab” (the test lab at work) has a dedicated room, dedicated
AC, several racks, and is connected via redundant 10Gbps links, with a backup
fiber link at 100Mbps, so
my home network is just an APU, a 16-port dumb switch, and a couple 802.11 APs.
  If I decided to upgrade the Grande connection to 1Gbps or, when Google fiber
arrives, I’ll probably replace all that with an SDN (OpenFlow) setup.

Jim