On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Volker Kuhlmann
<list0...@paradise.net.nz>wrote:

> I've been running pfsense for many years (and been very happy with it)
> on scrapped PCs with a Sun 4-port Ethernet PCI card because I need 5
> Ethernet ports.
>
> Now freebsd dieing on the hme driver effectively turns those cards into
> scrap and I'm stuck. What are alternatives now?
>
> Are there any other 4-port cards that are supported by pfsense in
> practice (not just in theory), that are also affordable?

I have had success with Intel PRO/1000 based 4-port PCI-X cards.  Most old
32-bit PCI motherboards will take a PCI-X card using only half of the
card's connectors, which means that all four ports will max out at around
1.5-2 Gigabits across all four ports (due to the limited PCI bandwidth).
 However, your old Sun machine likely couldn't push 4 Gigabits anyway, so
it doesn't really matter.

The specific cards that I have been using are Intel PRO/1000 MT 2-port and
GT 4-port (which use the 'em' driver), all purchased on eBay and installed
in Dell Optiplex GX260 and Optiplex GX280 machines.

HTH,

Moshe