On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 1:09 PM, David Newman <dnew...@networktest.com>wrote:

> Both from the GUI and the serial console, it appears that the new image
> successfully downloads and installs into the second partition, but the
> second partition won't boot.
>
> The boot method _might_ be an issue. When flashing CF cards in the past,
> I've followed the instructions here about changing from packet to
> nopacket boot methods:
>
> https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/NanoBSD_on_WRAP#Booting_NanoBSD_on_WRAP
>

> But that's on WRAP, and 2d13 isn't a WRAP board, so I don't know for
> sure why the upgrade isn't booting.

I upgrade two ALIX today, and one yesterday. All have 256MB RAM on 4GB
cards. Went from 2.1.2 => 2.1.3. No issues. These were upgraded from 2.1.0
or 2.0 to 2.1.2 over the last two weeks as well with no issues.

You do not want to muck about with changing the boot methods. You do not
have a WRAP so why would you do that? You're just making trouble for
yourself.