Renumeration (re-IP'ing)
No need to renumerate the main branch in your example as long as the main branch isn't assigned a subnet mask of less than 24 bits (/23 , /16, /8, etc). pfSense at the main branch will have interfaces (ergo routes) for each of the discrete 10.0.(4,5,6..n).0/24 tunnels, making routing to them implicit. In your example, the 'spokes' off the main branch would need to be told to find your other LAN subnets via this tunnel. In OpenVPN it's done right in the tunnel configuraiton: (OpenVPN Advanced "route 10.0.0.0 255.255.0.0;".

Good luck.

On 5/18/2014 7:12 AM, Alex Threlfall wrote:
Interesting, we're not using OpenVPN at present, just the built in IPSEC
stuff in pfSense, what benefits are there in switching to OpenVPN?

So our main branch is say 10.0.4.0, and the other branches are 10.0.5.0,
10.0.7.0, 10.0.2.0 and 10.0.3.0, all /24's - would using this methodology
require me to re-ip the main branch?

--
Alex Threlfall
Cyberprog New Media
www.cyberprog.net

-----Original Message-----
From: List [mailto:list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org] On Behalf Of Karl Fife
Sent: 16 May 2014 07:55
To: pfSense Support and Discussion Mailing List
Subject: Re: [pfSense] pfSense Routing - VPN's

This is exactly what we do.

We make the hub the OpenVPN server, and the spokes the clients because
the hub IP is static, and we can manage all of the OpenVPN listeners on
one
instance.

If your whole network is a /16, and each spoke is a /24, all you need is a
route
directive on each of the spokes for the entire /16.  In OpenVPN Advanced
"route 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0;"

You don't need any routing directives on the 'hub' because the addition of
each connection will take care of that.

With respect to rules:
We find it best to make the first rule on the hub's OpenVPN interface
this:
"Any source/port NOT destined for THIS hub subnet is allowed to pass".
That
way each branch can manage their ingress policy privately because the hub
will just route anything not destined for its subnet.

We also find it best to set up DNS forwarders to the spoke networks, i.e.
Hub: mybranch.mycompany.com dns dips are at 192.168.11.1.  Spokes can
dip the hub if so configured which can in turn dip OTHER spokes if so
configured.  Inverse lookups work too.  For example, add a dns forwarder
of
10.168.192.in-addr.arpa to allow inverse lookups in the spoke in the
subnet
192.168.10.0/24

It's been rock-solid for many years now!

Good luck.