On 20 May 2014, at 01:41, Brian Caouette <bri...@dlois.com> wrote:
> So this machine should scream for a home based network from the looks of it.
> My current test machine you'll all laugh www.dlois.com/status.html is here.
> (I kepted my old domain from when I was a dialup provider) VERY old machine
> with limited hardware. It works well but doesn't always keep up with the 15
> meg cable connection. pfSense impressed me enough that I wanted to use a real
> server. The new one should arrive next week. Dell PowerEdge 2850 2 x 3.2GHz /
> 4GB / 64 Bit / 6 x 73GB 15K
> Far cry from current P2 433 512k ram and 4 gig hd with dual 100 nics. Can't
> wait!

Forgive me for saying so, but that's a massive overkill for routing a 15Mbps
connection. Granted, it'd be entirely appropriate if you were routing multiple
gig transits in a datacentre environment where the power consumption might be
justified, but in a home environment, you're just burning through electricity
for the sake of it.

Of course, if you're going to run pfSense as a VM under a hypervisor with
several other VMs, then I take all the above back :-)

Kind regards,

Chris