Hi Tom!

You would be better suited contacting Electric Sheep Fencing
(http://www.electricsheepfencing.com/) directly for your how-to but you can
start with a few basic concepts:
1) This system is running FreeBSD 8.3 at present (future systems may be running
FreeBSD 9 or 10)
2) Your best option would be SQLite and PHP - why? because I’ve been developing
in PHP since 2.3 days (current deployment is 5.5 but I am not sure what version
is installed and supported on the system)  and it’s pretty darn user friendly.
3) I would steer clear of C for one specific reason: it’s a royal pain in the
butt and most of your needs should be capable with PHP.

Something to take note of is that not all installations are the same. Most of
my clients run on AMD Geode processors. My two firewalls at home are running on
Xeon 6-core VMs in VMWare ESXi, some people are running on dual and quad core
CPUs. RAM ranges from a minimum of 256MB on those supported ALIX boards (I’m
sure someone will correct me if I am wrong on this) up beyond 4GB (on the new
APU boards and VMs and other systems). Others have installed the software on
different desktop PCs running as dedicated systems - I have one such that is
running on an old Dell P4 with Hyper Threading.

What experience do you have in application development - both desktop and web?

—
Ryan
Publisher, d3photography.com