> On Sep 9, 2014, at 9:37 PM, Ryan Coleman <ryanjc...@me.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tom!
>
> You would be better suited contacting Electric Sheep Fencing
> (http://www.electricsheepfencing.com/) directly for your how-to but you can
> start with a few basic concepts:
> 1) This system is running FreeBSD 8.3 at present (future systems may be
> running FreeBSD 9 or 10)

You shouldn't bother with the 2.1.x train.  Go 2.2.

There is not FreeBSD 9 based version of pfSense, (nor will there ever be).

> 2) Your best option would be SQLite and PHP - why? because I’ve been
> developing in PHP since 2.3 days (current deployment is 5.5 but I am not sure
> what version is installed and supported on the system)  and it’s pretty darn
> user friendly.

PHP is version 5.5 in pfSense software version 2.2.
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/2.2_New_Features_and_Changes

There is some additional information here.
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/How_do_I_get_PHP_support_for_mysql,_sqlite,_sockets,_etc

> 3) I would steer clear of C for one specific reason: it’s a royal pain in the
> butt and most of your needs should be capable with PHP.

I am of exactly the opposite opinion.   I don't like PHP, but I am but one
person.

Right now we are focused on getting 2.2 to a production-ready state.  After
that, there will be a focus on performance, and sometime after that, in the 3.0
release planning, it is likely that a fundamental architecture re-design will
occur.

Since this type of work is expensive in terms of time (and yes, time is money),
this is an early "heads up" to an event on the horizon.  I won't say more now,
other than I'm willing to reconsider every technical aspect of the product
during this process.  It is unlikely that 32-bit x86 machines are supported on
the other side of that event.  To be clear, 32-bit platforms continue to be
viable for the 2.2 releases.

(Cue up the always wrong idiots who claim that this time they're right, and
pfSense will no longer be open source after a 3.0 in 5...4...3...2...)