> On Oct 23, 2014, at 5:18 AM, Zia Nayamuth <zedestruc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Lots of suggestions on the hardware, but I see nobody mention anything based
> around the new and much more powerful Avoton platform. The platform is
> officially supported, and the pfSense store has hardware based on it (looks
> to be the Supermicro 5018A-FTN4,

It is. The FW-7551 runs a two core version of the same SoC.

The SoC in both is based on Rangeley, which is like Avoton, but more Ethernets
and a crypto core named "QuickAssist".

We have a line of similar hardware coming out early next year.   You can see
the beginnings of same on the Netgate site.  Don't stress about the dev board
pricing, it's far higher than production boards / systems will be.

This will be the hardware that pfSense is tested on, and released for.  Other
platforms will continue to work, but if you want to run the solution that the
pfSense team uses, develops for, and tests on, look in the store.

Before someone accuses (because this always comes up), we don't cripple other
solutions (witness the AES-NI acceleration available to all in pfSense version
2.2), but we do polish things we sell.  When we decided to sell the C2758
(5018A-FTN4), we made sure all the Ethernets worked (this was released in
2.1.1) and did some tuning such that the platform worked well using pfSense
2.1.x.

We don't release the tuning info, and, incredibly, a couple people a month
write in demanding it.

Anyway, the point is, the community is still free to run pfSense software on a
given platform, but, as was always true, YMMV with platforms we don't support.

Someone asked in the blog if we would be enabling the crypto part on the
Watchguard he had purchased on eBay.

The answer is no.  Not only because the hardware is slower than a software-only
solution on a modern cpu, but also because SafeNet (the company that made that
part) no longer supports them, nor is the technical documentation available.

And then there is the main reason:  We don't have infinite time and other
resources.

Also, while the end user can change things to enable or even optimize a given
platform choice, load additional packages, etc., nobody can distribute the
result and call it "pfSense".  Simple trademark law demands same.

Anyway, the point is, things we don't sell aren't on developers desks, and are
not in the test rack, and thus, not exercised by the test harness.

Jim