On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Jason McClung <jason.mccl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/19/2015 1:27 PM, Erik Anderson wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Oliver Hansen <oliver.han...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> A bit of a guess but when I've had an issue with the OpenVPN GUI it was
>>> something in my OpenVPN Advanced Configuration section that I had added
>>> long
>>> ago and was no longer necessary or conflicting in some way.
>>
>> Thanks, Oliver. I double-checked that config section, and it's empty.
>>
>> -Erik
>
> Long ago I had to add a line something like
> 'management 127.0.0.1 ####'
> #### was a port number I don't recall.

Anything along those lines would date back to the 1.2.x days when
people manually configured things to use the OpenVPN status package
(before it came built-in). After upgrading to any 2.x release, they'd
have to be removed.

OP's issue is likely this one that's fixed in 2.2.
https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/3894
where if an OpenVPN client is delayed trying to do a DNS lookup (or
potentially other causes, that seemed to be the only replicable one),
OpenVPN doesn't respond to SIGTERM and would get started a second time
without stopping the first, which ends up breaking the status display.