My bad. The IP can be in the same subnet as well as in a different subnet.
As far as a true alias goes it is not implemented afaik. Try ifconfig in a
shell and see if your aliases are listed as ips on the interface. If they
where they would respond to ping and have a derived mac from the main
interface and the firewall itself would be able to use them.

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/What_are_Virtual_IP_Addresses

Just try the ifconfig command and you will see what I mean. Forget what the
GUI says.

Brgds, Espen