On 8/5/2017 8:59 AM, Arthur Wiebe wrote:
> This is more out of curiosity to verify that I'm correct, with pfSense 2.4
> using ZFS will that solve the issue where an SG appliance will stop booting
> because of a corrupt filesystem and require a reinstall?
>
> I've had too many cases where for whatever reason a box was shutdown
> improperly (could be the client unplugging it for example) and the system
> became corrupt and worked fine after re-installing the OS.
>
> I'm hoping that ZFS with it's data integrity and rollback features will
> solve this issue.
>
> Am I right? And if so we should consider re-installing existing
> installations with pfSense 2.4 so that it installs using ZFS?

ZFS is self-healing and though we have not been able to reproduce the
corruption issues seen by some with UFS, all evidence points to ZFS not
being susceptible to those problems.

ZFS does have increased RAM requirements so you have to be mindful of
RAM usage and enabled features so that you don't run yourself out of
memory. On systems with 4GB or RAM of more, it should be safe to use. It
also requires a 64-bit OS, but any of the SG devices would be 64-bit so
that shouldn't be a concern.

Jim