Well,

Just plug pfsense to ADSL and buy managed switch and some unifi wlan aps.
You can install proxy on pfsense box also..

Eero

22.12.2017 23.57 "Antonio" <m...@geotux.it> kirjoitti:

Hello,

I'm trying to design an optimal network setting for my home and was
wondering what people's thoughts were based on my needs:

1) Need a single DHCP, DNSMasq server;

2) want to route traffic through VPNs only on certain parts of my network

3) want to eventually install a proxy somewhere on the network to route
traffic from my kids laptops/tablets.

4) obviously want to firewall all centrally as best as possible.

My setup is as follows:

a) I have a little compact mini PC with four ethernet connections (1x
WAN and 3x LAN) - its wifi too

b) A Netgear Modem onto ADSL

c) A Netgear router Hawk 7000

d) a couple of desktop PCs wired to (a) as well as a server

e) several mobiles, IoTs that connect wireless to (c)

At the moment the connection is (b)->(c)->(a)->PCs but I feel I'm not
getting the best of this setup, particularly pfSense which at the moment
is just firewalling my PCs/server.

I generally consider the wifi network the weak point as guest come and
connect to it that's why its connected before (a); traffic from (c)
cannot get past (a) but the PCs/server can get out on the internet. I
feel that (a) should be connected to (b) and (c) should then be
connected to one of the LAN ports on (a), say LAN2 (I would have a
switch on LAN1 with PCs/server). I could then use pfSense to route
traffic from LAN2 to WAN and firewall LAN1 so that traffic from LAN2
could not go to LAN1.

That way, I could then set up pfSense as my single DHCP and DNSMasq
server. I could then set up VPNs for just traffic of LAN1 or LAN2.

Would you agree with this sort of setup or do you think I could
implement things better?

I look forward to some of your thoughts.

Best regards

--
Respect your privacy and that of others, don't give your data to big
corporations.