OK, OK I have been dually chastized :-)

> The point that I was trying to make was:  I feel that were REBOL
> to follow
> the pricing/Marketing example of Turbo Pascal, and price their product so
> that it is redally available to the masses combined with a top notched
> marketing plan I believe that they stand the best chance of being pull
> volted to success.

No need to feel chastised... you make some good points. But I'm not sure the
marketing of Borland's Turbo Pascal is the greatest one<g>. Their marketing
was horrible, and they ran a number of good products into the cyberdust. For
several years in the 1980s I essentially made my living writing books about
Borland products. They had some GREAT ones, like Turbo Pascal, Turbo Basic,
Turbo Prolog, Reflex, and Sprint, their most excellent word processing
program based on EMACS. I wrote books on all those except T. Pascal.
Fantastic programs for their time, especially Sprint (which I still actually
use for a lot of tasks, even though it has not been upgraded since 1988).
Great programs fall by the wayside rather quickly, however, if they are not
marketed correctly. Sprint, again, is a prime example. It was (and in ways,
still is) far superior to other word processing packages, just like Rebol is
far superior to other scripting languages. Borland blew their marketing,
however. My book had only been out three months or so before Borland was
history. Microsoft's Word panicked them and they dropped Sprint instead of
marketing it aggressively against a very vulnerable target. I'm not bitter;
my Sprint book sold several thousand copies and make good money. Plus, I got
a free word processing program that I've used in writing over 50 other
books. Lately I've taking to using Word 2000 for its GUI convenience, but
Sprint is still in my toolbox for special jobs. While I'm happy, a lot of
Sprint users (there's still a mailing list) are not. Borland mismanaged
Sprint (and other products), and simply did the end users a massive
disservice. People now use Word, Word Perfect, etc., not knowing there are
better ways to word process.

So Carl and the other fine folks at Rebol have a very difficult row to hoe
(as we say here in the North Carolina mountains). If Rebol is to be
commercial (and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with that, the current
fad of open sourcing aside), they must tread a fine line in pricing and
provide lasting support and product evolution. It's all balanced on the
knife edge of our collective support. I envy not their position, but I will
buy Rebol whatever the price for its obvious advantages.

I will probably even write a book about it. I will certainly continue to
write programs IN it.

------------------------------
Ralph Roberts, CEO
Alexander Books / Creativity, Inc.
65 Macedonia Road
Alexander, NC 28701
1-800-472-0438 voice & fax tollfree U.S. & Canada
1-828-255-8719 voice & fax overseas

See Ralph's latest bestsellers at:

http://abooks.com/genealogy
http://autograph-book.com