Zero Piraeus wrote:

I thought the received wisdom these days was that "call to action" links are more likely to be followed than descriptive ones. Something like:

  <Register> for course ABC

  <Register for this course>

or even just

  <Register!>

I think that is a good point, and that should enhance the usability IMHO.

But just using <Register> runs into accessibility problems by not describing the link item fully, and especially when you have more that one course on a page, then the link items cannot share the same label.

So I think the general point you are making is valid. Kind of strange though, isn't it. That's a real change in perception, normal labelling is probably mostly nouns and adjectives, whilst call to action labels are probably most likely to be verbs. So I wonder if any usability studies have been done in that area?

Geoff