Richard's alphabet is a simple row array, which is not naturally
rendered by any popular graphical user agent as any kind of row list
(dl, ul, ol). As a semantic dl, ul or ol, no user with page styles
unavailable will see anything remotely resembling the row format that
Richard wants, unlike what Bob proposed. A table is as good as (X)HTML
provides to semantically provide a row array.

Felix, it seems that your entire argument is based on what the user sees without styling applied.

HTML IS NOT A PRESENTATIONAL LANGUAGE.

It should not matter what the user sees if they do not have styling applied, because if they disable styling they obviously don't care about how things look!

Presentation is to be taken care of by stylesheets.

I am new to this list, but I would think that these things would be obvious to anyone who claims to understand Web standards. These are very core, principle parts of the standards we are talking about here! HTML for semantic structure, CSS for presentation, DOM scripting for behavior.

What a strange argument that is going on here... talking about data types in a language that is not typed...

I think we should all just go with Geoff's suggestion for the grocery list and call it a night.

Sorry for shouting.

Matt Heerema
www.directsteps.com